Elva Cars was started in 1958 by Frank Nichols in East Sussex with the intention of building a small batch of road going sportcars suitable for racing. A tie up with a USA importing ensured the first batch of cars went stateside. The Elva Courier was to have much success on the race track and that success was to transfer to the production of the Courier, proving popular as a kit. 1961 saw Trojan Cars take over the Elva name and they took production forward producing several versions of the Courier. Production of several Elva models took them up to 1974 when they ceased trading. Around 600 cars were made.